We can all admit it – we’ve been distracted while driving. We don’t realize that we have stopped at a green light because we were distracted by something else. That’s why we’re here with helpful hints on ways to avoid distractions while driving
- Give the road your undivided attention. Don’t let anything divert your attention, scan the road and watch out for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Make sure everything in your car is secured. Anything that is loose in the car can roll around and cause distraction. If everything is stored away you wont feel tempted to reach for them on the floor and seat.
- Make adjustments before you head out on your adventure. Address vehicle systems like your GPS, seats, mirrors, climate controls and sound system. Decide your route and check traffic conditions ahead of time.
- Put away that phone! Don’t use cell phones while driving – hanndheld or hands-free – except in the case of emergencies. Never use text messaging, email functions, video games or the internet with a wireless device.
- If there is another activity that requires your attention, pull over to a safe place instead of trying to attempt it while driving.
- Snack smart. Eat meals or snacks before or after your trip, not while driving. On the road, avoid messy foods that can be difficult to manage.
- Don’t let your passengers distract you! Instead, enlist their help so you can focus safely on driving.